Calendar of Events :
- Oregon Dune Mushers (Mid March) – Annual mail run from North Bend to Florence
- Chainsaw Sculpture Championships (Father’s Day Weekend) – Professional carvers gather to compete and show and sell their work
- July 4th – Best fireworks display on the coast
- Ocean Fest (Late July) – parade, booths, live entertainment
- Dune Fest (Late Summer) – show and shine, races, poker run on the dunes
- Kool Coastal Nights (the weekend before Labor Day Weekend) – classic car rally, parade, show and shine
- Captain Umpclaw Crab Bounty Hunt (Late Summer) – catch the specially tagged Captain or his cousins and claim $5000. bounty or other prizes.
- Victorian Christmas (Thanksgiving through Christmas) – horse drawn carolers, merchants in costumes, shop decorations, refreshments
A plethora of art galleries, antique stores, gift and specialty shops abound. Several festivals throughout the summer offer a unique experience as you mingle with the crowds among the street vendors. Whether you are a shopper or just a browser, Winchester Bay is a true delight.
Experience a variety of fine dining including fresh locally caught seafood, the best pizza on the coast, quaint cafes such as the Crabby Cafe and more right on the Mariner.
Other Activities Include:
- Bring your bike and take the bike path to the beach
- Swim at sheltered Lake Marie at the Umpqua Lighthouse State Park – featuring sandy beach, picnic tables and fire pits
- Hike the trail around the lake, climb the dunes, or explore numerous trails and small lakes throughout the dunes
- Play a round of golf at the nearby Forest Hills Golf Course Show your room receipt for a 25% discount on greens fees.
- Pick abundant wild blackberries (Aug/Sept) for a tasty treat or take home for jam or cobbler
- Water ski, windsurf, scuba dive, surf – in the bay or at the local lakes.
- Take a free VIP tour of the impressive modern Coast Guard facility and its rescue boats
- Visit the oyster farm for fresh oysters on the half shell. Watch them being shucked or take some with you to prepare yourself
- Try your luck at either the Mill Casino or the Three Rivers Casino, both just a short drive away.
Fishing and Crabbing:
Located on the mouth of the great Umpqua River is the Salmon Harbor with one of the best developed Mariner in the area with a huge number of boat launching and docking facilities. You can either bring your own boat or hire one in the harbor to go out fishing in the river or the ocean for all kinds of fish including bottom fish, sturgeon or stripers as well as three different species of salmon during different times of the year. Try one of the many charter or guide services including Sully’s Guide Service, or Strike Zone Charters. You may also want to try your hand at surf or jetty fishing. You can even have your catch custom canned at the local Sportsmen’s Cannery. Freshwater lake fishing also abounds locally.
Winchester Bay is known as one of the best crabbing areas in the region. For a good time with friends or family, try crabbing for fresh dungeness crab. Our crabbing season is open all year and you can crab off the docks or by boat in the bay. Trap rentals and bait are available locally. Come in August or September during the Captain Umpclaw Crab Bounty Hunt and catch the Captain for a chance to win the $5000 cash bounty!